Sunday, June 14, 2009

A request post...

Hello my friends and family! Long time, no post. Most of the things that I have been thrifting lately have been clothes which, for the longest time, I didn't intend to post in this blog. However, I miss posting so much that I figured I might as well post the clothes as well. Right now, all I have to show is this $6.00 house dress from Goodwill. It has one pocket in the front and is very comfortable. I only wear this around the house as a little play/cleaning dress.


(model face)

Now, onto the problem at hand. I bought this table on craigslist a while back. I love the shape to it (semi circular with three legs), but hate the color. I am unsure if I intend to use it as a vanity, or if I want to turn it into a writing desk. Either way, I am 99.9% sure I am going to paint it (once I figure out how). I am thinking it would look lovely in a cream/eggshell color ... but all monochrome. Sort of like this.



I wouldn't want any other tints or shading or anything like that to show (like it does now). Also, I have a mirror that I was going to hang outside that I might possibly use inside if I do indeed use it as a vanity. I don't know. I need your help. Which do you like better? You may click to enlarge any of these pictures.

Here is the table as a vanity.



Detail of the mirror.



Detail of the front drawer and top of the desk. It looks like this fake leather/crackled but it is pretty smooth. I have no idea what it is made of. Does anybody have any idea how to paint something like this? Would I just have to slap some paint on or do you think I would have to do anything special?








Here is the table as a writing desk.











If I end up using it as a writing desk, I will hang the mirror outside on a tree. Here is the inspiration picture that I found that gave me the idea to hang the mirror outside. For some reason, I find the idea of hanging the mirror on a tree very romantic. I love to see indoor things, outside.



Also, while I am asking for advice, I need some help with which color to paint the bedroom. I love everything about this house, except the carpeting. It is industrial type purplish color carpeting. Yuck! Currently the walls are an off-white slightly pinkish color with white trim. I would love to hear your suggestions as to paint color. The only thing I can think of is maybe a light lavender. The walls need to be painted pretty badly as there are patch marks all over the wall when our landlords moved out.



Any and all help/inpute is appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. 1. I love the dress! That can't be the muu muu, right? I want a picture of that.

    2. I think you should separate the table and mirror. The mirror is too ornate for me and takes all the attention away from the table.

    3. I like the writing desk idea. I also think it would be nice as a hall table. You could put a hat tree or umbrella holder in the open spot and put it against a wall.

    4. If it's not smooth, you could put a coat of polyeurothane (?) over it before you paint.

    5. I like the mirror on a tree.

    6. It's hard to tell about the carpet on here. It LOOKS like you could do a blue that would look nice.

    7. This is Taven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote vanity, though there's nothing that says you can't have a typewriter on a vanity...

    I think the mirror and table look good together.

    Is the surface a veneer? If not, I'd sand it a little first, using different grits (coarser to softer) and then prime it before painting. Would you paint the mirror to match?

    -Zack

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the mirror and the table together... It's over-the-top opulent and as long as there isn't something just as fancy-like nearby I think you should go with it. With that said, if you put more stuff on it it would be good as a desk too - I think it's the sparseness in the picture that puts me off. As for painting, I think you can just slap it on right over that, though if you want to be super safe get some primer first. Test coat a leg and see how it does!

    I love the drawer... it really makes the table. I think eggshell would look great but that you still may need the slightest bit of shading in the crevices... otherwise you may lose the details.

    Post the during and after pictures, please!!

    ReplyDelete