Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fairy Lights

This is something that I have been working on for a while. The pictures really don't do it justice on how peaceful it looks at night.

We hung up these icicle lights after Christmas was over because we wanted them up permanently on our porch. Unfortunately, any time I looked at them I was reminded of Christmas and it just made me feel "white trash" to still have Christmas lights up.

Solution: throw a few flowers up there and they are automatically "spring fairy lights".









(This was one of the first drafts. I ended up trimming the egg carton better in my later flowers. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the pretty ones.)







I had to take the pictures at night with the flash on. Any time I turned the flash off, I ended up with these pictures (which I think look kinda cool).







Basically I took egg cartons and trimmed down each cup cross section to look like a flower. I wanted mine colored so I painted them with water and food coloring to get a muted effect. I mixed up different colors to get a variety. Using a hole punch and a really big sewing needle I made different patterns on some of the flowers and strung them up and around the icicle lights. Of course I have to give the warning that if you are going to do this, to use LED lights only.






















4 comments: