Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Material Objects

Last Saturday Libby, her girls, and I got up super early in the morning to hit up the yard sales. I love yard sales more than thrifting because the prices are negotiable and they are also generally a lot cheaper.

My very first purchase of the day were some vinyl records bought at a school yard sale. They were 50¢ a piece; totaling $2.50.



Bing Crosby - Only Forever
Bing Crosby - Easy to Remember
Sammy Davis Jr. - Something for Everyone



Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young - Deja Vu
"Bald" Bill Hagan and his Trocaderons - Music to Strip By

I was very excited to pick up the first three. I was just telling Matt that I needed to keep my eye out for more "crooner" records (though Sinatra, I am sure, would disagree with me). I love to put on the record player while I am cleaning the house. This afternoon, I decided to take a little video footage to showcase the new lp I bought and to also give you a sneak peak at my record collection. Please be patient as this is the first video I have ever uploaded for Blogger and I am not sure how long it takes. My goal is to eventually fill the bottom row of my book case with just vinyl.




At another yard sale, I picked up this gorgeous white ceramic soup tureen (including lid, spoon, and platter) for only $5.00. I have a really yummy baked potato soup recipe that I would love to serve out of this.










I was later surprised to find out that it is handmade. I could not find a single company mark anywhere on the piece. When I finally turned the platter over, I found "Rhonda Rayborne" scrawled on the back.

At the same yard sale, I couldn't help but pick up these lovely paper dolls. This first set was completely cut out already and was 50¢.





This second set was a much larger bag consisting of both cut and uncut dolls/clothing/etc and cost $1.00. The woman who owned them before me did a good job cutting around the dolls. If anything, she left too much white instead of cutting into the doll which is a good thing and something I can fix.














At another yard sale I fell completely in love with these set of 4 books featuring the works of Tolstoy (1928), Tennyson (1932), Hugo (1943), and Poe (1943). He was asking for $8.00 for the whole set. Libby, ever so slyly, asked the guy if he would take $6.00 for them and without skipping a beat he said yes. $2.00 might not seem like something to get happy about, but I was over the moon. I am very new to marketplace dickering. It takes some getting used to.




Lastly, I picked up this aluminum grill press for only 50¢. I have been looking for a cast iron one for a while now and ideally I would still like to get cast iron. This will definitely serve in the mean time.




3 comments:

  1. Awesome finds!!! I love paper dolls!! I saw some at Book Gallery West (the one over by Beef O Brady's).

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the video!!! the soup tureen is beautiful--i'd like that soup recipe when you get the chance.

    i also found a cast iron bacon press at the beall's in chiefland--it was only 10 or 11 dollars.

    ReplyDelete