Monday, March 30, 2009

For a good time call....

A few weekends ago, Becky and I decided to check out some of the thrift stores in Ocala. I love exploring thrift stores in other towns. It is such an adventure.

I found this glass humming bird feeder at the Humane Society Thrift Store. I have seen many plastic humming bird feeders, but I have never seen anything like this. Even the three flowers (which are removable) are glass. I have it hanging in the tree right outside my porch. Hopefully I will see a humming bird feed from it one day. The store was running a special where everything in the store was 30% off that day. $5.00 - 30% = $3.50.




I also found at the Humane Society Thrift Store this marble mortar and pestle brand new in the box (though per my mothers advice, I will still wash it thoroughly because it "could have been used in a high school science lab"). I have wanted one for a while. There are certain herbs that I cook with that I find unpalatable unless they are chopped up first (rosemary for example.... it reminds me of christmas tree needles) $5.00 - 30% = $3.50




This next item was a complete splurge buy. It is a ceramic chess board that somebody attempted to paint but never finished. They didn't do a very good job. They didn't even prime the thing white, they just started painting it. All four pieces connect together (somehow). My plans are to paint it and stick it on my porch. I am not fond of the board I currently have so I will just switch it out with this one and use the chess pieces I do currently own. This is just a future craft project waiting to happen. I do not recall the price of this item.





One of my favorite scores of the day is this set of 4 bone china owl napkin rings (yes, more napkin rings to add to the collection). As soon as I saw them, my heart skipped a beat and I knew I just had to have them. $4.00 - 30% = $2.80.




The sticker on the front of the box.




"M. Cabrini Shop
1723 Monroe St.
Madison, Wis 53711"

The only thing I could find out from a quick google search was there was a "Cabrini Gifts" at this location and was bought out by Orange Tree Imports in 1986. Here you can also see the new Fieldcrest Luxury cloth napkins I bought at the Goodwill in Ocala. I love the pattern on these dark red napkins. $10.00 for 8 = $1.25 a piece.









This was one of the largest Goodwill's I have ever been in. It was massive. It also was filled to the brim with brand new items directly from a store. By far my most expensive purchase of the day was this plant holder that I currently have sitting out on the porch with my dying aloe and my (brought back to life) african violet plant. Somewhere around the range of $15.00.



(The planter was fine when I took this picture. I, apparently, was crooked)

1 comment:

  1. the chessboard was $5 also i think---that was a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete